Second Femoral Head Ostectomy

Second Femoral Head Ostectomy

It happened.  Round 2 has officially begun.  Last Friday, the 25th, I dropped Bacio off for his second Femoral Head Ostectomy (FHO) surgery.  We pulled into the parking lot around 8:30am.  it was closer to 8:45 when we got in the door, not because it was a long walk, but Bacio seemed to remember what happens there, and he refused to get out of the car.  Trying to wrestle him out of the car was quite a challenge.

I didn’t have to be there long once I got inside, I answered a few questions and signed some forms.  Soon enough the vet tech was there to take him to the back.  I took off his collar and leash as they tried to put on a nylon slip leash.  The vet tech cautiously asked me if Bacio was friendly.  I explained to her that he’s gone through this before and he really didn’t want to do it again.  He was glued to my leg.  I had to walk him back to the kennels myself because he wouldn’t leave me.  It was so hard.

I stayed strong all day.  I didn’t think about it too much.  I knew he was in good hands and that this was a standard procedure.  I kept myself busy with this and that, and cuddled with Yuki.  Yuki didn’t seem to mind that Bacio was MIA because she got a new femur bone to keep her company. It wasn’t until about 6:00pm that I started to get a bit worried, the offices closed at 6:00 and I hadn’t heard anything.  I tried to calm myself down… I decided to call them.

Once they answered I jokingly told the woman on the other end,

“Yeah I dropped my dog off there for surgery this morning and I just wanted to make sure he was still alive.”

She didn’t think it was as funny and put me on hold for what felt like forever.  When she came back to the phone she told me that he hadn’t had his procedure done yet due to two emergency surgeries that came in.  Initially I was upset and nervous.  My dog had been in a kennel all day, and these surgeons have been working all day already and they’re still going to work on my dog?!

After the fact, it didn’t seem like as much of a big deal as it was to me on Friday night. I understand emergency cases, if the situation was reversed and my dog needed emergency surgery I’d hope it would be attended to ASAP.  I just didn’t appreciate not being notified about the delay, and worried that the doctors may be tired after their normal days PLUS two emergency surgeries.  I finally got a call around 9:30pm letting me know my dog’s surgery had taken place and he was now coming off the anesthesia.

In the car on the way home Saturday morning

I picked Bacio up at 10am the next morning.  The waiting room was full of Great Danes!  3 of them! Giants! I went back to the kennel to get Bacio and took him outside from there so he didn’t have to try and make it through the dog filled waiting room.  His incision looks better this time around but he is much more reluctant to walk.  Today he’s finally getting around more, but he likes to stop and just lay in the grass instead of trying to go to the bathroom.  He’s only gone numero dos once since he’s been back and that was quite the ordeal.  His back legs are really shaky so when to assumed the position, he started to lose his balance as the turd was halfway out.  To avoid falling Bacio pushed off his good leg and jumped forward, poo flying out his butt as he did.  Then he looked up at me like… is the poo gone mom?  It made my day.

Walking after the car ride home

Now he’s enjoying being spoiled and Yuki is ever-so jealous of all the attention he is getting.  She has been moping around and hiding under the table.  I try to cuddle with her but she’s mad at me and trots off. She knows Bacio isn’t 100% right now too, she’s been staying close to him but not too close.  I’ve only been crating Bacio when I leave them alone.  For the most part I’ve been hanging out with them and its been one big cuddle puddle when Yuki puts her jealousy aside and joins the fun.

Yuki staying close to Bacio after he first got home

I’ll post updates along the way, but more than likely not as frequent at the last time.  I think you guys are all probably sick of FHO talk by now…

4 thoughts on “Second Femoral Head Ostectomy

  1. hi, I was just surfing the Internet and came upon your site, as I am writing I am shaking cause my 10 months german Shepard has advance hip displasia, we went to have her spayed and out curiously you I ask the vet to X-ray her hips, I rescued her from a friend who clearly didn’t take care of his dogs and I felt bad I ask him to let me have this pup, oh mine the temperament of that dog is outstanding mind you I have 5 dogs already and they all get along great when I came home with her, she was only 5months old. My heart is broken when I see her walking and jump like a rabbit, both legs are weak and can’t jump in the car, at nite she seem always hot and pacing all nite long, now when I saw your video, I gain a little more confidence in how the procedure is done and how well they could recover, my only issues are they will walk funny for couple weekend or so but about 6 months from the surgery? Will they be completely recover and walking normal? And how long did it take your pooch to fully walk normal and how long you waited for the second hip to be done ,Cause from what my vet told me is that one leg will slightly be shorter then the other and the walk may never be the same, is it true? My dogs are soooo special to me and when one is hurt my whole inside hurt as well, please let me know if this type of surgery is successful or should I consider full hip replacement, my husband and I are arguing over this since money is also I big factor. Thank you for sharing your video and God Bless.

    1. Sorry for the late response, Bacio was limping on the leg for a good week or two the first time. But he had slipped on the wood stairs in my apartment. The therapy really helped him gain strength. I waited about 6 months to do the second surgery, but I could have done it earlier. He recovered much faster the second time around. He runs and jumps now, his walk isn’t perfect, but he’s never in pain. I took him for runs around the track at the park near our house when the weather was warmer. He loved it. The full hip replacement was initially recommended to me, but it was way out of my price range. I’m happy with the decision I made. It was a scary process, and draining to deal with the rehab, but I’d do it over 100% no questions asked.

  2. Looking to have my black lab’s 2nd surgery next week actually. He is almost 6 months since his first one and those first 3 months were long and hard. Was just looking to see what to expect with Round 2…funny, I see that you like in the Chicago area…we are North, in Gurnee. Thank you for your postings!

    1. Sorry for the late reply, but I’m happy to hear your pup is on to the next phase! Round 2 was much smoother than round 1 for me. I knew what I was looking for and how cautious I had to be. Also Bacio was in the know as well and not as afraid to start walking that time around. I realize that you’re about 2 months into recovery now, how is everything? What doctor did you use if you don’t mind me asking?

Leave a Reply